Name______________         Class:_____________         Date:_____________
Test 1: Nouns
Topics: Identifying common, proper, singular, and plural nouns.
Test duration: 45 minutes.
Don't get stuck on an answer you don't know. Skip it, and go back to it later.
Part 1 (20 pts.)
Select the correct answer:
- Around the world, many (child) (children) drink unclean or polluted water.
- In this (country) (countries), drinking water is usually safe and clean.
- Miami is one of the most interesting (place) (places) to visit in Florida.
- How far is it to (Daytona Beach) (daytona beach) from here?
- Martha and (aunt) (Aunt) Sally will be flying in from New York this afternoon.
- Students must study hard if they want to get by in this (high school) (High school).
- The pipe organ is a lovely (instrument) (Instrument).
- Look at all the (boys) (boyes) playing tag.
- All of the (girls) (girl) in the neighborhood want to be invited to the party.
- My two (sisters in law) (sister in laws) are coming to visit me tomorrow.
Part 2 (20 pts.)
Identify the following nouns as either common or proper. (words have been purposefully uncapitalized)
- boy __________
- obama __________
- nevada __________
- dog __________
- aunt sally __________
- japan __________
- billy __________
- house __________
- bank __________
- walmart __________
Part 3 (20 pts.)
Write singular if the underlined noun is singular or plural if it is plural.
- ________________ What celebrations are the most popular?
- ________________ These goats have the softest wool in the area.
- ________________ What country has the largest population of deer?
- ________________ The largest state in the US is Alaska.
- ________________ This mouse weighs less than a deck of cards.
- ________________ The houses down the street are really creepy.
- ________________ How long have those dogs been sitting in the yard?
- ________________ Why did they go to that party?
- ________________ Students have to study hard if they want to get good grades.
- ________________ The mall is fun to walk around in because of all the stores.
Part 4 (30 pts.)
Write the plural form for each noun that is given.
- Life ____________
- Lady ____________
- Boy ____________
- Shelf ____________
- Deer ____________
- Baby ____________
- Human being ____________
- Foot ____________
- Test tube ____________
- Key ____________
- Sheep ____________
- Sister in law ____________
- Datum ____________
- Goose ____________
- Woman ____________
Part 5 (10 pts.)
Choose True or False for the following statements:
- A proper noun will always start with a capital letter - True | False
- Every noun has a singular and a plural form - True | False
- “Boy” “frog” and “house” are count nouns because they can be counted. True | False
- “Education” is a count noun. True | False
- Some nouns may seem plural but are actually considered singular and these are called collective nouns. True | False