Name______________         Class:_____________         Date:_____________
Topics: Identify pronouns, choose the correct pronoun, and use pronouns in sentences.
Test duration: 30 minutes.
Don't get stuck on an answer you don't know. Skip it, and go back to it later.
Part 1 (30 points)
Select the correct options from the choices given in brackets.
- How many times has Bill told a lie to (his / him) father?
- Where did Sally go with (she / her) friends yesterday?
- I love going to the park with Mark, even though (he / him) is a little odd.
- The cat was taking care of (its / his) young.
- The dog was chasing (her / its) tail.
- Many students wonder where (they / them) will end up after college.
- A parent always wonders if (he or she / they) are doing the best for the kids.
- How many times did Mr., Johnson have to tell you to stay out of (his / he / him) yard?
- I don’t know what’s gotten into the dogs but (them / they) have been barking all day.
- Look at the mother and father bird building (their / its) nest in the tree.
Part 2 (30 points)
Write some pronouns that you can use to refer to the following nouns.
For example: My family - We, Us, Our
- Billy _______________________
- Jane _______________________
- Mom _______________________
- Dad _________________________
- (First person) Your name ______________________
- Dog ____________________
- More than one parent _________________
- Someone you are speaking to ___________________
- Some objects ______________________
- An object __________________
Part 3 (30 points)
Finish the following sentences by supplying appropriate pronouns in the spaces provided.
- Plows were invented in Mesopotamia more than 5,000 years ago, and ________ vastly improved agriculture and crop production.
- John Deer was an American Blacksmith, and ________ developed great improvements to the design and structure of the plow.
- His wife believed in what he was doing and _______ supported him in all of his experiments and business ventures.
- The road to starting a business was hard and John wondered at times if _______ will ever see his dream come true.
- American farmers experimented and tried out John’s new plow design and __________ were very impressed with its strength and quality.
- John Deere sold thousands of plows when he first began to produce and market _______.
- John Deere moved in Illinois to help his business because ________ was a central spot for farmers and a great place to market his plow.
- In 1861, Deere incorporated his company and today _________ name is famous for quality tractors and farming equipment.
- Many agricultural associates in the country recommend _______ brand of tractor to farmers.
- John Deer probably had no idea how successful _____ would become.
Part 4 (10 pts.)
- Write two singular pronouns:
- Write two plural pronouns:
- Write two third-person pronouns:
- Write two indefinite pronouns:
- Write two relative pronouns: